****»

Monday, April 27, 2009

Chicken Paprikas

This is an old Hungarian meal my grandmother makes & now I make. I can eat it for days on end. Not The Pilot's favorite, but he is getting used to it. Different than what he grew up with. I make it a lot while he's gone. So this is the 1st time making it since last August/September. I have an old Hungarian recipe book with a recipe in it, but this version is simpler to make.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter
2lbs chicken (cut into cubes)
1 envelope of Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 tsp Paprika
1 3/4 cups water (broken into 1 1/2 & 1/4)
1 tbsp flour
1 (8oz) sour cream

You can serve over egg noodles or dumplings. I've made my own dumplings before but now I get Maggi Spaetzle. It's a small German dumpling. I've found it occasionally at the commissary or at a grocery store with a very good international isle, but mainly at World Market.

Directions:
Melt butter on medium-high heat & brown chicken, drain. Stir in onion soup mix & blend in 1 1/2 cups water & paprika. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low & simmer covered for 45 minutes or until done. Stir it. Remove chicken & keep warm. In pan blend flour with 1/4 cup water. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low & simmer uncovered, stirring frequently for 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat & with wire wisk blend in sour cream. Add chicken. Serve over noodles or dumplings.

(I'll add a picture later when it's all done)

0 comments: