****»

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Cake in a jar

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This recipe works really well if you want to mail to a loved one. I mailed DH some on his last deployment. They made it from CA to Iraq in one piece (flat rate box & bubble wrap). After they got there it didn't last much longer. I sent it in his St Patrick's day themed box, so I tinted the cake green. Send icing separately!!

*What you need...
- wide mouth 1/2 pint canning jars
- Cake mix of your choice
- all the ingredients the cake mix calls for (eggs, oil, etc or not, lol)
- cooking spray
- cookie sheet

*What you do...
- Pre-heat oven for the temperature it calls for.
- Mix cake according to directions on box.
- Wash canning jars & boil the tops (I boil while the cake is cooking).
- Spray inside of jars & place on cookie sheet.
- Pour cake mixture into jars 1/3 to 1/2 the way.
- Cook. It does take a little longer than what the box calls for. I think mine bake for about 40 minutes.
- As soon as the cake comes out, screw the lids on. Let cool. Tighten lids some more.

3 comments:

VNG said...

those are awesome. i may have to make some for gifts this year....
i'm kate davidson's cousin, by the way....

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome, I have wide mouth pint jars. Will that work at all?

JenniferB79 said...

Yes, you will just have bigger cakes. I think when I first made them a few years ago all I had were pint jars. They turned out fine.